Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Have You Ever...

Have you ever wanted to be put through a trial/storm to see how your faith would withstand? I know, it seems crazy right, to want to be put through something hard, something that we possibly could not get through on our own. And the truth is we can't. We can't do it alone. Whether you believe in Jesus (& have accepted him into your lifestyle) this statement is true. How many times have you gone through something extremely tough & not called upon someone? It could be your sister, your best friend, your husband, or your Jesus. Yes, your Jesus. He's my Jesus. He's your Jesus. He's everyone's Jesus.

When Chris & I first got married, it was tough, financially. I think back upon it now & wonder how in the world we made it out as well as we did. Those were simpler times. Even if we were frivolous, they were simple. It was just us, in a trailer, in our first home as a newlywed couple, & I loved it. Now, the experience may have been a little ...rough around the edges... but it was our first year of marriage & I wouldn't trade that experience for a rich (financial) one. It was once we got ourselves one of those mortgages when things started to get a little "first yearish." You always hear that the first year is the hardest & I could not disagree more. The first year is great, you're still in newlywed mode with each other & look past (or don't even see) each other's faults. The second year is when you realize that he leaves the dishes in the sink, he puts his wet towels on the floor, or whatever, then it seems as your marriage vision is coming into focus. Those are good moments to throw a mop or duster in his hand & day, "want to spend some time together?" ;) ...anyway, I'm getting off track. I can tell you, during those simpler times, that's when I felt closest to God. I can vividly remember those moments & sometimes become jealous of that time I used to have. Did God move away? Of course not, I did. I lost my sight. I got distracted & didn't try to come back to shore. One conclusion I have come to over the past 8 years is, I do my best when I am not wealthy. What I mean is, when I have cushion, I become a cushion. I just sit there & do nothing. I take part in nothing. A bump on a log. I honestly believe where we are right now is part of what God wants for us, so that we don't lose sight of what wealthy really means. I have a great family, great friends, we both have the opportunity to further our education, we have a roof, we have food in our pantry, we both have cars, we have clothes, & so much more. Don't lose sight of what really matters....



-Ash-

No comments:

Post a Comment